Running Wild

One of the interesting things about working in a new court is learning the new lingo.  You say continuance, I say adjournment. You say FTA, I say bench warrant.

But today I heard my new favorite localism. My client was telling me about what happened with his cases in another county. "Judge gave me thirty days running wild."

(Note there is no article "the" here, always just "judge" instead of "the judge," "prosecutor" instead of "the prosecutor."  If I want to assimilate, I'll have to give up the "the.")

Anyway, where was I?  Oh, I followed up with, "30 days on each case? You had three cases there."

My client said, "Yeah, running wild."

It was then that I started to realize that maybe "running wild" was supposed to mean something, not just be some kind of exclamation.

"Running wild?" I asked.

"Yeah, running wild. You know, like I had to do all that time running wild."

I was so confused. How could you be running wild and doing time? If you're in jail, you're not running wild, right?

The client could sense my confusion because he then explained, "You know, 30 days then 30 days then 30 days so I had to do 90 days. Running wild."

"Oh...  consecutive?" I asked.

Blank stare.

"Not concurrent?"

Nothing.

"Back to back?"

"Yeah, that's what I said. Running wild."

To-may-to, to-mah-to, consecutive, running wild, let's call the whole thing off.

2 comments:

  1. I am desperately trying to find the logic in that one, and it's jut not happening. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Starting a public defender gig soon. I did not know the clients had their own lingo for sentencing... Bit of insight into the realm of problems their group has to deal with. Fucking insane really. Makes me wonder if they need me as a legal translator and advocate or more as a white face in a suit to make a deal for them.

    ReplyDelete