Lunch Lady

I usually eat lunch at my desk, but yesterday I grabbed lunch at a place near the courthouse.  While I ate, two men sat down at the table next to me.  I wasn't trying to listen to their conversation, but, well, our tables were really close together.  I quickly figured out that they were finance-types, and then tried to block out their finance-related conversation (because I wouldn't understand it anyway).  But then I just happened to hear one of the men drop the words "public defender" at the end of his sentence.  I tuned back into the conversation to hear the other man reply:
I knew two lawyers who were public defenders.  They were really great lawyers.  Really smart and really hard-working.  You know, they just have to keep fighting for justice.  It's like, they're always the underdogs, and they just always have to keep fighting.  They really have to be persistent.  I would say public defenders are the best lawyers. They have to be.
I'll tell you, that may have been one of the best lunches I've had in a long time.  It may have been more expensive than bringing a sandwich to gulp down at my desk, but, as they say, it was priceless. I hope to be back to that place.

6 comments:

  1. So awesome & so true too!! Woo-hoo!! Nothing like making you feel good about what you do, because so many times you don't get to hear the good stuff. Loving it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Blondie, welcome back to the blogosphere (or the blawgosphere as the new kids are calling it). You always tell cool stories. Actually, I have this theory that you've started a new blog elsewhere under your real name, but you can't tell anyone here about it because there's still stuff here you don't want connected to you in real life. That would suck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can totally identify with this scenario. It's not often nice comments are made in relation to lawyers- glad to see somebody appreciates what we do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing that, I really needed to hear that this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a similar lunch experience, but it was two girls talking about one of them preparing for her wedding and discussing the intricacies of birth control and honeymoons. That was one of the more entertaining and informative lunches I've had.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was my restaurant. I planted those two guys (my brother in laws) just for you. See you again.

    ReplyDelete