Blonde Mamma Mia

Don't laugh, because I'm not joking. I couldn't even make this up.

After months and months of my mother telling me how good the movie Mamma Mia was, and how I really need to see it, and how she wants to get the soundtrack...

It was finally revealed that my blonde mother thinks that the songs in Mamma Mia are NEW and that they were written for the movie.

I haven't seen the movie, so I thought maybe, it is possible, there were some new songs in the movie.

So, I asked her for an example.

And she said, "Well, they had one song called Mamma Mia. And it goes, 'Mamma Mia, here I go again...'"

I told her that first there was a group called ABBA who had these songs, and then there was a musical based on the songs, and then there was a movie based on the musical. But, she told me, that's just absurd.

What's absurd is that my mother has never heard of ABBA.

How is it possible that I'm the one telling my mother about the 70s, when I really wasn't around to experience for myself?

6 comments:

  1. ABBA did ask "Does you your mother know"?
    Now we know the answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom and I went to see Mama Mia on broadway because we both love ABBA (because she used to play it in my house in the 70's and I'm a tad older than you). But she was convinced some of the songs were new and couldn't understand how I knew all the words already. (shame)

    And now I am infecting a new generation -- my son knows all the words to the refrain to Mama Mia. He thinks the song is about Mommys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad (70+), who had heard of them, said that he thought that ABBA was "the best rock and roll band" ever to grace the airwaves, or something flowery like that. Rock and roll. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so funny! I actually had to explain to mother that Pink Floyd was not actually a single dude...it was painful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A couple of years ago my father-in-law came home raving about this great band that sang this great song . . . "Fernando."

    And the guy born in 1973 had to explain.

    ReplyDelete