But Can Burt’s Bees Turn ME Green?

You may remember this post, in which I wondered whether applying Burt's Bees Lemon Butter Cuticle Cream to my lips. might kill me. We even got some scientists involved in getting the answer.

Well, just over three years later, the New York Times attempts to answer just that question, in the article Can Burt’s Bees Turn Clorox Green?

If you don't want to read the three page article, we can cut to the chase:
To prove his own bona fides, Mr. Replogle grabs a bottle of Burt’s Bees avocado butter hair treatment, squeezes some onto his finger and dramatically licks it off. He then passes the tube to two Clorox executives so they can have a taste.

“If you can’t put it into your mouth, you shouldn’t put it on your skin,” he says. “I’d like to see other companies do that.”

Funny, because I have a little sample tube of the avocado butter hair treatment that I want to taste... I mean... err... try.


  1. I think the stuff is just so yummy smelling that one can't help but want to eat it up. I feel that way about my body scrub.

  2. Oddly enough, when I took general chemistry lab in college, one of our experiments was to titrate dilute hydrochloric acid with dilute sodium hydroxide, using just a drop of phenolphthalein as an indicator. When we told our professor we had reached the endpoint, he would say "How sure are you? Sure enough to drink it?"

    See, dilute hydrochloric acid reacts with dilute sodium hydroxide to form... well...

    salt water.

    Yeah, chemicals are dangerous.

    I know, I know, science geek.