Death By Rodrigo

When I was a kid, I loved Reading Rainbow. Remember the part, at the end, when LeVar Burton said, "But you don't have to take my word for it..." and then kids reviewed books they had read? I always thought, "I'm so much smarter than these kids. I could totally do better reviews..." But you don't have to take my word for it.

Death By Rodrigo is a really funny wry look at the world of criminal defense. The book is described as "Janet Evanovich meets My Cousin Vinny," so I knew the book was going to be good.

Junne, the main character and narrator of the novel, is a real city gritty criminal defense lawyer. As a former cop, he knows all the tricks, even though he acknowledges that he doesn't have a lot of book smarts. But he knows people, he knows what's going on around him, and this is what makes him a good criminal defense lawyer.

I can relate to that.

Junne and his partner Mickie not only work with, but also learn the code of, pimps and prostitutes, drug lords and judges. Eventually, though, they find themselves in over their heads (I can relate to that too, but not like this) and know it's going to take them more than just book smarts to dig themselves out. And Junne tries to deal with a secret that I wouldn't even think of revealing here.

The book is funny and engaging. I'll warn you before you read it that the writing style is very, you know, casual, as its all coming from the point of view of this rough and tumble ex-cop lawyer. But if you read this blog, then I'm sure you can deal with improper grammar.

I recommend Death By Rodrigo as a good fun read and a light-hearted look into the seedy underbelly of criminal defense. Da-dunh-dunh!

1 comment:

  1. My biggest dream when I was little was to do those book reviews on Reading Rainbow. I also thought that I could do a better job.