I Like Cold Beverage, Yeah

It's summer, you're looking for something good to keep you hydrated. Here's what I've got.

I found a really awesome bottled iced tea, it's called Sweet Leaf Tea and it's delish. I particularly love the mint & honey flavor. And I want to try the diet, it's made with Splenda so I might like that although I don't like most diet drinks. So, look around for that. Also, they have a "where to find" section on their website, but I bought mine someplace not listed on the website, so you might find it somewhere unexpected.

Also, I went to a bar on Saturday afternoon and ordered my favorite summer beer, Hoegaarden. The bar owner told me that Budweiser had acquired Hoegaarden and Stella Artois a while back (for U.S. imports and distribution only, I assume), and he'd had problems with his deliveries ever since. I'm disappointed by this. It's summer. This is what I order during the summer. I guess I'll have to stick to fruity Lambics this summer. And that Sweet Leaf Tea.

Let's see... what else have I been drinking? My new favorite Starbucks drink for summer is an iced caramel macchiato. It is full of sugary caramel syrup, so I'm not getting it too often. And I get the nonfat. That makes me feel like it's a little healthier. And I checked the Starbucks website, which does have the nutrition information if you poke around enough, and the iced caramel macchiato does have 90 less calories than the mocha frappuccino, last summer's favorite. Even though, really, who am I fooling?

The other night I stopped at a juice shop in my neighborhood and got a really good smoothie that was just fruit and ice. (No sugar added.) Mine was mostly pineapple, with a few other fruits I guess. It was really delicious and awesome for summer. If that place was more accessible to my daily commute, I would easily replace my iced caramel macchiato with something healthier.

What else? Wine. First, I have a new favorite cheap white wine for summer. Who knows, maybe it will be for the whole year. It's the Chateau Ste. Michelle Columbia Valley Riesling, from Washington. I can find it for about $8 in the wine store, and it's on a lot of wine lists, so it's a good cheap white wine standby. I don't review wine, but it's a good, light, easy to drink white wine. (By the way, did you hear the digg boys are now sponsored by Wine Library? I was cracking up listening to them try to review wine a few weeks ago.)

And I had never tried a Cotes Du Rhone before, but a few weeks back I tried one on the recommendation of a really good waiter, and I loved it. It was by Laboure Roi, and I will definitely buy some of that to have at home if I can find it.

So, that's what I'm drinking. I was so inspired by that smoothie the other night that it might be time to break out the blender and start smoothie season in my own home. What have you been drinking?

8 comments:

  1. I guess I'm a creature of habit. Diet Dr. Pepper anywhere, amaretto sour at a bar, and wheat beer at home. Actually, now that it's summer, I might stop by Sonic more often for a diet cherry limeade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strawberries & Creme is my cold Starbucks drink for the summer. I'll have to try that mint & honey tea. It sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't go wrong with a nice cold Riesling. Works with everything. Look in the German wine section for ones that are reasonably priced.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, Rieslings are good. I'm not a real big wine drinker. It just puts me to sleep.

    Summer is when you will find me drinking Miller Lite (during the rest of the year, my tastes lean toward Amstel Light, Molson, Guinness, Harp, and Dominion Lager). But I need to stay hydrated in the summer, and Miller Lite is like drinking water with some beer in it. I don't mean that in a bad way. I mean, compare it to Bud Light, which is like drinking water with piss in it. (I would imagine. I couldn't say for sure, you understand.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been drinking viognier, too, and Pacific Rim dry reisling, which is awesome. And at starbucks, the coffee light frappuccino is like a less-guilt-inducing milkshake. I love summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Summer means Sam Adams Summer Ale, Magic Hat #9, any sort of peach or apricot microbrew ale, red and white sangria, and the new Starbucks nonfat orange mocha latte. (I drink a lot. and often.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a wine freak up here in Canada.

    Great picks for this summer include:

    1. Most Zinfandels (California - Rockinghorse, Ravenswood; Australia - Wilfords, Penfolds). They are often overlooked - but let me tell you, open up one of these with a BBQ'd steak and you'll be in heaven. In the states section, look for anything from 2003 - that year was one of the best California has ever seen for their red grapes. If you liked the Cotes du Rhone, you'll love the heartiness of a red zin.

    2. Pinot Grigio - I don't know what your selection is like in the states, but California makes a good one (Fezer is okay, and cheap) but the best one by far is the Italian Valadice - up here it goes for $16 Canadian a bottle, but well worth it. Chicken and fish work really well, as does drinking it on its own!

    3. As much as it pains me to say it, Roses are making their way back into the market. Thankfully, they are fresh and not as sweet you remember them being. We've been having a heat wave up here, and I've been keeping cool by sipping on Jean Jean's rose from France. It's about $8 a pop, and the bottle alone is a work of art. Grab a couple of bottles and lounge by the pool or on your back deck with some friends. It's a great conversation starter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Viognier is very pretty but is harder to find and slightly more expensive. If you're not a wine drinker it's not easy to appreciate it. If you are a wine drinker, and are sick and tired of overoaked butterbomb california chard, try this instead. "Pretty" is really the best way to describe it - soft notes of honeysuckle and canteloupe, as opposed to in-your-face grapefruit that you can get with Sauvignon Blanc, or cloying sweetness with some Rieslings.

    Never pay more then $10 for Italian whites (including pinot gris/grigio).

    If you like Riesling, Rosemount (Oz) makes a nice riesling/gewurtztraminer blend. Not dry, refreshing, can be found in the $6 range.

    ReplyDelete