Did You Pledge? Every Morning.

Thinking about that corn scene in Big reminded me of this little bit of dialog, when Josh (Tom Hanks), now a grown-up, goes for a job interview:
Interviewer: Where did you go to school?
Josh: It was called George Washington.
Interviewer: Oh G.W. My brother-in-law got his doctorate there. Did you pledge?
Josh: Yes. Every morning.

What's funny is that, as a 10 year old watching that movie (over and over again), I certainly didn't get it. I think I knew there was some sort of misunderstanding going on, but I didn't really get what it was. It wasn't until I saw it again years later that I heard that line and said, "Oh! G.W.! Pledge! I get it."

I guess because the movie wasn't primarily made for 10 year old kids. (Too much romance! Boring!)

Which reminds me of how I didn't get that Dirty Dancing had an abortion theme either.

Gosh, I wonder how many other movies I completely didn't get.

5 comments:

  1. OMG..I swear we are cosmically in sync!! I was just talking about that scene in Big with someone yesterday!!

    And then this morning I was thinking about the Dirty Dancing thing because: (1) I hadn't realized that Jerry Orbach played the dad, and it's so strange to think that that's the guy who was Detective Lenny Briscoe on Law and Order for so long; and (2) Ghost was on tv this morning - thus, the train of thought to Patrick Swayze.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm...

    When I had a newborn, my husband had to explain a page of our cloth book entitled "Baby's Special Foods" to me, because I was so sleep-deprived.

    After that, not getting the stuff in "Big" and "Dirty Dancing" doesn't seem unusual at all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a movie (well, it is but not as good as the book and the theme is more suppressed in the movie)....but I totally didn't get the love triangle in "Shane" until I was much older. When I was a kid I just thought it was a good western.

    ReplyDelete
  4. judgment proofJune 29, 2007 8:44 PM

    I heard "Hungry Eyes" in the grocery store yesterday, and I smiled and thought of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What does GW stand for? Gamma World?

    ReplyDelete