Anxiety Analyzed

I have this case that's bugging me. I don't know why. But every time I even somehow remotely thing about this case, I feel like I'm going to have a panic attack or cry.

And, before you ask, yes, my client is guilty. But, that's nothing new. Most of my clients are "guilty" in the factual sense, if not the legal sense.

It's not a very serious of a case. I've had hundreds of more serious cases. It's not a very complicated case, factually or legally. My client isn't facing a particularly harsh sentence.

He's not really a jerk of a client. He's not particularly nice, but he's relatively polite, for a client.

I severely dislike the prosecutor. As in, she makes my skin crawl. But that's not such a bad thing. At least I'm guaranteed that the jury will like me better than her.

And I don't have a judge to dislike. The judge had previously ruled in my favor but the case is supposed to get sent to another judge for trial. So far, I've got no reason to believe that judge will be any worse for me.

So, umm, I don't know what it is about this particular case that makes me want to puke. I guess the only remedy is to prep the case and prep it some more. And then to get it over with, as quickly as possible.


  1. Someone's getting a little jaded in their old age. Have some sympathy, sure she may have sent dozens of drunk driving offenders to jail but at least they lived to learn from their mistakes, she'll never get that opportunity.

  2. I've had cases like that, where there is something wrong but you just can't put your finger on it. In my experience, there is some underlying issue that has yet to surface.

    My best suggestion is to do what you stated. Be as prepared as possible for any possible issue or surprise. Then, just do the case.

    Is there any chance to plead it out and avoid the hassle???

  3. I don't understand Comment #1.

  4. Oh, ok, now I understand Comment #1.

    Commenter number one-- she may have also sent people to their deaths, if she prosecuted murders in a death-penalty state. Those people never get a chance to learn from their mistakes.