In Malaysia

Dear Intern,

When I was in high school, there was a girl in my class who went on a trip through Girl Scouts to Malaysia. I think that her family struggled financially, and I'm sure that the trip was really an event-of-a-lifetime for her. I could imagine that she saw things that were so different, so enlightening for her, that she wanted to share everything that she had learned with everyone she met.

Which was why no one was surprised when she brought Malaysia up in conversation. But eventually it got annoying when every sentence, in every class, all day long, began with, "In Malaysia..."

It was a shame, because this poor girl was really never very popular to begin with, but eventually everyone was mocking her "in Malaysia."

And it's not like anyone had anything against Malaysia. None of us had ever even been there. But, I guess really no one wants to hear so much about any one place.

I mention this because... well, I hate to say it, but... no one really cares what you did when you "interned at the prosecutors office."

And, believe me, like the poor girl who went to Malaysia, I'm sure you saw some very different things when you "interned at the prosecutors office." But, um, I think some people are starting to get sick of hearing about when you "interned at the prosecutors office." Including me.

And it's not because I have anything against the prosecutors office. Just like I didn't have anything against Malaysia. Ok, well, maybe I have a little something against the prosecutors office. But, really, that's neither here nor there. Just stop saying it.

So, um, hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Blonde Justice
(who interned at the public defenders office)

5 comments:

  1. Hahaha..that is seriously friggin' hilarious.

    Is it like BigLaw obnoxious associates who say, "When I clerked for my Judge..."

    I really hope that girl was able to visit other countries eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm conscious of the fact that I'm constantly saying, "In Texas, . . . " since coming to my new job in Washington. It's probably driving people here crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came to California from England. I like to say "In MY country . . ." as much as possible, just to annoy people. Sometimes I use a middle eastern accent to make it even more annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohhhh...

    The poor thing is insecure and wanting so much to feel like he has some footing. I hope you told him to stop it. :)

    ReplyDelete