The Alcohol Made Me A Racist

First, Kramer goes crazy with the n-word. Then, the gay kid (the gay kid of all people!) on The Real World comes out with the n-word and blames it on an alcohol problem.

Um, alcohol made you a racist?

Here's what I think. I have never ever uttered the n-word. Never once in my little life. And I don't think there's any amount of alcohol in the world that would make it come out of my mouth.

So I don't really get blaming it on alcohol or anger. Because I could come with a million mean things to call someone when I get mad, and the n-word wouldn't be on the list. It's not like there aren't other mean things you can call someone.

(If you want my opinion, Tyree was in the wrong in starting the fight, and in the beginning of the fight, but he was nowhere near as bad as Davis who took it to a whole 'nuther level.)

And one more thing about The Real World? That guy (Alex?) that the girls are fighting over and crying over and everything? He's ugly and kind of too feminine looking and they could all do better. And then Colie brings home probably the only other guy in all of Denver who is a bigger loser. And I had heard that Denver is full of hot, single men.

And, so, that's where I stand on this season of Real World so far. And the n-word.


  1. Diana Barry BlytheDecember 07, 2006 11:11 PM

    Mel Gibson blames his salty remarks on the demon liquor as well.

    I say, cow chips.

    He could have at least admitted it was his own fault - first step to recovery.

    The Kramer dude blames it on blind rage. He said something like, he's sorry it came out, but if anybody was in his shoes they would have done the same.

    I'm just shocked that it came out so easily when the Kramer dude was frustrated. It means that he's fairly accustomed to using that word, just not onstage.

  2. The whole situation is ridiculous. Alcohol is becoming an excuse for everything these days. Well, alcohol doesn't change the thoughts that you have, it just impairs your judgement. Basically what that means is that all those celebrities have some racist opinions, but they have the good sense not to blurt them out.

    What I really want to know is why no one's angry at Rosie O'Donell for speaking "ching chong ching chong" Chinese on the View. That's just as racist as saying the n word, and she was sober!

  3. I've said it, before I understood it was a Bad Word. But here's the thing: when did the word "nigger" become so bad that you can't even repeat it? It's like, the Voldemort of slang. And that's just ridiculous . . . fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself. Here, "nigger" stands in place of racism. People won't say the word because they're afraid of being racist. And I don't think you can ever beat racism if you're afraid to even say its name.

  4. in vino veritas

  5. On a slightly different topic, it's astounding how many white people think it's perfectly acceptable to use that word in certain contexts when they think it's a 'nice' word (e.g. 'what's up my n---a). Probably this is at least in part due to its widespread use in pop culture, but to me it just demonstrates a serious lack of social skills and/or common sense. It's about as funny as a Klan member making a Holocaust joke.

  6. 1) I'm no doctor, but Michael Richards strikes me as very probably mentally ill and if so, why didn't he blame that? Watching the long version of the tape from the club, it looked like some kind a "break" to me.

    2)I have said "nigger" before, but only quoting someone while I was in a trial. (BJ, I suspect it's only a matter of time until you're in that position too.) I had to just do it without hesitating. It was like the first time I said "vagina" to a jury, only weirder.

  7. Sorry, but I think that kid was completely justified using the n-word. Why? Because that is exactly what Tyree was acting like. He was just a screaming ignorant idiot who was instigating things for no reason. Nothing sums up his behavior better than the n-word. His race is really irrelevant, his actions are what make him a straight-up n-word. Sometimes you gotta call 'em like you see 'em.

    There's a difference between black people and n-words. Hell, each and every one of us has a little n-word inside us that we act like sometimes.

  8. Whoaa, 12:42. You just provided a succinct illustration of why nobody should use that word (except in the "quoting somebody else" way, which I agree is unavoidable). Your implied definition is inaccurate--given the way the word has been used historically, it does not mean "a screaming ignorant idiot who was instigating things for no reason," but something more like "a person who deserves to be enslaved, oppressed, or treated like less than a citizen because he is black." I hope you didn't think Tyree deserved that, regardless of how unjustified he was in starting that fight.

  9. I agree. Davis' use of the n-word was totally inappropriate, and those girls who are fighting over Alex are ridiculous. He's not even that cute, aand they could all do much better.

    As far at the Michael Richards thing goes, I was so disappointed when I saw the video. It totally ruined my opinion on him. It's similar to the Mel Gibson thing. Getting drunk doesn't make you spout hate-filled statements, unless you really believed/felt those things all along.

  10. You know it is refreshing as an African-American law student to hear you guys say using the n-word is not ok, because I assume( perhaps incorrectly) that you are white or at least not black. It is thrown around way to much. I do not use it and I encourage other African-Americans not to use it either, it is in insulting to me when it comes from anybody. I was raised in a home where it was unacceptable so I try to further that. I have not seen the real world in some time(blame it on the finals syndrome haha) but this would most likely infuriate me.

    Thank you for giving me some faith that there are non-black people out there who respect the history of the word and why nobody should say it.

  11. t&alady,

    I no longer subscribe to your antiquated definition of the 'n' word.

    The new definition of the 'N' word was coined by Chris Rock in his 1996 comedy special "Bring the Pain". In his now-legendary "Ni**ers vs. Black People" bit, Rock singlehandedly redefined the 'N' word as we know it.

    "I love black people," Rock stated, "but I hate ni**ers" . Rock went on to illustrate the differences between ordinary African Americans and Ni**ers, characterizing the Ni**er as a subset of the African-American race. The Ni**er, Rock explained, is a selfish person who generally embraces ignorance, acts without forethought, and is a general menace to the African American community.
    The almost entirely black audience was in complete agreement with Rock's sentiment.

    Let's face it, the Ni**er ,as Rock described, is not a fictional character. The Ni**er exists and continues to plague the African American community by drawing in negative attention, thus smearing the image of the majority of African Americans and subsequently preventing their advancement in society.

    Before you can go about solving a problem, you have to identify it and isolate it. Ni**ers are a scourge to the African American community at large, and if we don't recognize their existence, then we will never be able to reform them.

  12. "A drunk man's words are a sober man's thoughts." I have no idea who said this, but I believe it. And I am relieved to see that I am not the only intelligent person that watches The Real World!