Technical Question

I know there has to be at least a few of you out there who can help me figure this out...

Let's say I have a long MP3 on my iPod. For example, maybe an hour-long interview with a band, during which they also play a few songs, live and acoustic and whatnot.

I'd like to keep just the songs on my iPod, and I don't think I can get them anywhere else. (I don't think they're available on CD or individually from iTunes, etc.) But I wouldn't want to listen through the hour-long interview (or fast forward through the interview portions) everytime I feel like listening to these songs.

So, is there a way that I can cut the songs out of the long MP3 and save them individually? Is there some kind of free editing software that isn't too hard to use? Is there any even easier way that I'm not thinking of?

Thanks!

7 comments:

  1. For a free editor try http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

    In order to edit with mp3 you need software that the will allow the editor to support the mp3 files. This is called an encoder.
    Try http://www.free-codecs.com/Lame_Encoder_download.htm

    It should not be very hard to edit. Simply import a copy of your original file. Don't work on the original. Cut out the parts of teh file you don't want, and export what remains. One disadvantage with mp3 is that you will lose a little quality each time you edit the file and export back out to a new mp3 file.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second the motion for Audacity.

    As a second example of how useful it can be: I use it to dice up large audio files (typically from podcasts) into short 2-3 minute-long tracks before burning the collection onto a CD for listening in the car. This makes it much easier to get back to start close to a stopping spot.

    And it is free.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Audacity with Lame if by far your best option out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Yes.. I know I'm awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. While Audacity is good stuff (yay, Open Source), you might want to take a look at GoldWave. It's free-ish (it's feature-limited until you pay the shareware fee, but it won't give you any hassle about this stuff) and has a great feature called "Set Cue Points" that automagically divides up the file for you. You can specify that it divide into equal chunks (say, 10 minutes per track), or it will actually look for the silence between tracks and divide it there (you can adjust how low the level has to be for it to be "quiet", the min and max track lengths, the minimum length for silence, etc.)

    I've found it's really handy for things like audiobooks ... if you get the settings right the breaks will all come at logical places like chapter ends when there's a long pause.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course be warned that if the RIAA ever finds out you have done this they will attempt to sue you for around 5k. Don't worry if the method they used to find out was legal or not. They will still sue and they have very deep pockets.

    ReplyDelete