Near, Far, Wherever You Are

Tonight is a beautifully mild night. For the first time in a long time, I came home, turned off the air conditioner, and opened all of the windows in my apartment.

One of the strange facts of city life is that many of the cars that drive that past my windows have music blasting. There's also a traffic light in front of my apartment, which means that I get a minute-long sample of each song. This is how I sometimes learn about the newest rap, hip-hop and reggaeton songs. And how I learn all the words.

So, you can imagine my surprise tonight when I was eating dinner near my window and when a car stop at the light, I heard a very loud sample of Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On."

All I could think was, "Oh, she is totally begging to be carjacked."

4 comments:

  1. starry indecisisAugust 10, 2006 12:33 PM

    I live in a similar situation. We're on a corner of a fairly busy intersection, and where we live it is cool enough to always have the windows open (in lieu of air conditioning). I find that watching t.v. at night after getting home is kind of difficult, when a bus goes by it drowns out just about everything else. We're also on this steep hill that bike riders love to go speeding down while screaming at the top of their lungs. Once when one went by, we heard this loud "THUD" followed by "AHHHH! AHHH!" The bicyclist had ran into the back of a car that was pulling away from the sidewalk. (he ended up being okay)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, she is totally begging to be carjacked."

    Or they are begging for some sweet, sweet lovin.

    I'll stop now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is begging for a new cd collection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh lordy! I'm begging to be carjacked. Crap.
    And no knocking Celine, okay?

    ReplyDelete