Junk Brothers

About a year ago, I found this little bench stool thing in the trash in front of a neighbors' house. It was a little taller than a footstool, and the top opens for a little storage space. Perfect for an extra seat in a small apartment. I checked it out, found it was a solid wood, and brought it home to my mother. My mother repaired the wood, painted it, redid the leather top, and now it looks fantastic in my living room.

Which is why I love this new TV show that my mother has turned me onto... Junk Brothers!

For those who are unfamiliar, here's the concept. Two guys (the "junk brothers") set out in their pick-up truck at the beginning of the episode, under the cover of darkness, and find a piece of furniture or two that has been left out in the trash. They bring it back to their studio/garage/workshop and turn it into something awesome. Then, they return to the house that they took it from, leave the renovated item on the front lawn, ring the doorbell and run. They see only a little of the reaction from their truck on the street.

I really like the idea of thinking about what you can do with a piece of trash. The Junk Brothers tend to redo the found furniture into very different items, not just fix it up or give it a fresh coat of paint.

For example, in the first episode I saw, they turned a small dresser into a baby-changing table and an old entertainment center into a bar. Both came out very different from what they originally found, and both ended up being pretty cool.

My only complaint about the show is that they don't get any input from the person they take the trash from. So, for example, when they found the dresser, they commented that there must have been a baby shower because there were other baby type items (and baby-themed balloons) in the garbage. And that's their inspiration for turning it into a changing table, something the new parents could presumably use.

I understand that they're trying to have an element of surprise, but I think it might be better if they got some input from the family. For instance, they decorated the baby changing table with a Noah's Ark theme. Which was cute. But maybe there would have been something else to match the baby's room. Maybe these people aren't even having a baby, maybe they were hosting a shower for someone else. Heck, for all they knew, maybe they put all that baby stuff in the garbage because they just lost a baby. Yes, it's a morbid thought, but think about how insensitive the show would be if it was true. Don't worry, the woman who came out of the house to get the changing table was noticably pregnant.

In another episode, they found a desk, and they turned it into a video game console, complete with flat screen TV and built-in steering wheel. It was a very nice idea, but what if the family didn't have a teenage kid? (They did, a boy came out when they rang the bell. Which leads me to think that they scout these things out.)

I just think that they put a lot of fun little details into their refurnishings, and it would be cooler if they could show you how they tailor it to fit the owner. And it would be a shame if the owner couldn't take advantage of it.

I also think it'd be cool if they could see more of the families reactions afterward or if they could explain to the family how they came up with the concept, or how they made the changes.

I know I'm completely overthinking it. But these are just small points on an otherwise cool show. I predict that it will be as addictive as Trading Spaces was, before Trading Spaces was completely overdone. Junk Brothers is a good show, check it out and let me know what you think.

3 comments:

  1. I think I need to get me a TV. This show sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on all those points. And it is a cool show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know Blondie, sounds like you are ready to chuck the law to become a TV producer.

    ReplyDelete