Anonymous Lawyer Reviewed

Anonymous Lawyer by Jeremy Blachman, Is Hilarious
(A book review, by Blonde Justice)

There's an eerie quiet that normally pervades the halls of the firm, punctuated only by the screams of those who've discovered they can use the letter opener to end the pain once and for all.

Is Anonymous Lawyer an exaggeration of firm life? To be honest, I have no idea. In the interest of full disclosure, I have never worked for even a minute in a firm. And the few friends that I have that went to big firms are never around to talk about it. But they do have really huge flat panel TVs that I see when I stop in their house to feed their cats when they work really late.

But, since none of them have literally committed suicide yet, I expect that Anonymous Lawyer is an exercise in hyperbole.

Still, I loved it. Or, maybe I loved it because of that.

I think the best comparison I can make is that Anonymous Lawyer is a lot like The Devil Wears Prada.

Did I think reading The Devil Wears Prada gave me a realistic idea of what it means to work in the magazine or publishing industry? No, it was more of an interesting tale of creative torture that happened to be set at a fashion magazine. Anonymous Lawyer is similar, but it is set at a law firm.

Did The Devil Wears Prada have a plot? Sure, but as in Anonymous Lawyer, the plot is a bit player, and is mostly a vehicle for these creative torture stories.

And, that's fine with me. Anonymous Lawyer is a lite and amusing courtroom read, and made me appreciate the friendly, no-stress (ha!) environment we have at the public defender's office.

The book is formatted as a blog (and some e-mails). Which didn't bother me at all, since I regularly read blogs, so the format is familiar to me. I'm not sure whether it would be awkward for someone who has never read blogs, but it's not like it's a difficult thing to figure out.

(In deciding to describe this book as "lite and amusing" and compare it to Devil Wears Prada, I wondered if perhaps I had stumbled on the next Chick Lit... Lite Lawyer Reads... maybe we could call it Writ Lit. You heard it here first.)

So, pick up Anonymous Lawyer, stick it in your brief case, and have something to laugh about in the courtroom. Or, if you get a summer vacation, bring it to the beach and be glad you don't work at a Big Firm.


  1. When I read The Devil Wears Prada, I had images of this one senior partner at the last law firm that I worked. Now I will have to read The Anonymous Lawyer. Thanks for the tip. I’ll let you know if it is close to my law firm experience.

  2. Writ Lit! I believe you coined a new phrase- Love it!

  3. Writ Lit made me laugh out loud at 5:30 in the morning. Good job.

  4. If it's really formatted like a blog, you'd have to read it backwards, wouldn't you? Well, good. That's the way I prefer to read anyway.

  5. No, no, it's not formatted like a blog in that sense. The first entry is on the first page.

    Although, I think it'd be kind of interesting if you started at the end, the way you do when you read other peoples' blogs. Then you get curious, and want to go back and start reading the archives.

    But that might be a little tough in a book format.