Blogging Conviction

I want you to know that I tried to blog the first episode of Conviction tonight. I really did. But it want just too terrible. Sorry, I tried. If you want to know how bad it sucks, you're going to have to watch it yourself.

I had a really hard time because I felt forced to watch it all. It's either a personality asset or a flaw, but I have a hard time leaving things unfinished... giving up a book halfway through, walking out of a bad movie, and pressing delete on my Tivo when a show just sucks.

Ok, let me just write about one little thing, and then I will banish this show from my memory completely. One of the young DAs hooks up with a woman (that he met at a party that night?) The next morning, he runs out, late for work. Later that day, his secretary tells him that there's a woman here, she says he left his DA badge in her bed. We're about 10 minutes into the show and they've used the word "DA badge" a few times. But, I'm just wondering, if they all work in the DA's office, don't they just know a "badge" is their "DA badge?" Like, if you were a police officer, would you say, "I have my police officer gun, my police officer badge, and my police officer belt, now I'm going to report to the police officer headquarters, meet up with police officer partner and we'll get in our police officer car which we'll drive around this policing zone assigned to my police officer partner and myself, also a police office?" Obviously not. Either they're trying to drive home the point of "Oooh, they're very powerful, they have badges," or it's just poor writing. My guess is the latter.

I could watch this show on mute and with my eyes closed, and I'd still write a better, more accurate show.

What's the over/under on Conviction cancellation?

10 comments:

  1. I say it will be gone from NBC before six episodes air, but Bravo or CourtTv or someone will run whatever they've filmed. I've watched the first two episodes, and I agree it's woefully bad. At this point, it's a comedy for me, because I can't take it seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I... liked it.

    I don't know anything about DAs. Maybe that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CM, that definitely helps. It keeps you from sitting there screaming "LIARS! LIARS!" Maybe I could've enjoyed the show more if I wasn't doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But... But... I don't understand... it's the "Grey's Anatomy" of Law and Order. How could this show possibly be bad?!?!

    (removing tongue from cheek)

    ReplyDelete
  5. However, if they were writing true to life, no DA or police officer would ever say the word "car"; rather, they would say "VE-hi-cle." And "standard issue duty weapon" for gun, and so on and so on...maybe that's the explanation?

    ReplyDelete
  6. My guess is the writing is poor and they want to drive home the, Look at them, of course they're powerful, they have badges!

    I will go out on a limb and say they last for 5 shows max then disappear forever, never to be renewed on another network.

    I'm glad to be part of the group that doesn't need any stinkin badges!

    ReplyDelete
  7. the part that cracked me up was when one of the DA's punches some guuy in the bathroom and throws him to the floor, then shoves his badge in his face and goes on about how that "badge" gave him all the power. I just started laughing....D. A. Mo Fo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have not watched it yet. But didn't they bring back Alex, who was the ADA on SVU?

    My students always ask me if practicing law is really like the TV shows. Yeah,right!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i really wanted to like it. i like stephanie march. but i thought it was AWFUL. (and i don't know much about DAs except for what i've learned on law & order! har) i think it's a calculated attempt to Attract Young People, but they're out of their league. just provide good-quality programming and people of all ages will watch. (most of the people i know who watch L&O reruns are in their early 30s, which i assume would be the age they're trying to capture with this piece of crap.) but i hated trial by jury too

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry, did you just accuse Hollywood writers of "poor writing"? Please. There's got to be some other explanation.

    ReplyDelete