Hope You Weren't Hungry

I walk past a "Middle Eastern" restaurant most days. I've eaten there a few times, and from those few visits I know that the owners are Jordanian and, presumably Muslim. (I didn't ask, so I can only assume, but they had indications that some dishes were "halal," so I made the guess.)

Anyway, I walked past the restaurant again this morning. It was obviously open - I know this because the neon "OPEN" light was lit, there were a few people inside, and the door was propped open. But there was a sign in the window that read:

In observance of Ramadan, we will not serve food or drink until sundown.
1/2 Price Specials after sundown.

What I want to know is, if you're a restaurant, and you're not serving food... why be open? I mean, why couldn't they just open at sundown? It seems like a perfect day to take off.

Seriously, I'm not trying to be judgmental or anything. If anyone has a good explanation, I'd like to hear it. But, in my mind, there's no need to go to work and open up the restaurant if you're not going to serve food or drink.


  1. I've eaten there, I'd prefer it without the food or drink.

  2. There's a Sudanese restaurant near me that has a prayer rug in the back. Maybe that's what they'll be doing during the day?