Another Reason To Proofread

This is pretty funny (you have to read both pages to get it.)

And law related! What more could you ask for?

In other news, I have been watching The Law Firm on Bravo, and there's been a few pretty interesting episodes. It's unfortunate that it's not on NBC, I think it'd make good law school viewing (and, I assume law students are more likely to catch something that's on NBC than on Bravo). One of the recent episodes (1 or 2 weeks ago, I guess? I've been watching them off Tivo, so I'm not sure when it aired) brought up an interesting ethical issue: Can you read to the jury from a document that you know to be untrue, a document signed by your client, after you didn't allow your client to testify because you knew she'd be perjuring herself (and the document that you read was essentially the same as what her perjured testimony would've been)? What if your adversary opens the door by mentioning another part of the same document?

My best instincts say no, duty of candor to the court, blah blah blah, but I guess if I were in that situation at the very least I'd request a recess and research it and speak to someone about it. (Some states have an ethics hotline that you can call with this kind of dilemma, if you don't have a senior attorney that you can consult.)

In the end, though, it didn't seem to make a difference to Roy Black, or whoever is actually making the decisions, because the attorney who engaged in the ethically questionable behavior was not dismissed. In fact, I don't think he even commented on it in the final "board room" scene.

Also, my favorite attorney, Chris, who I believe may have been a public defender was "dismissed" in the most recent episode, so I was disappointed by that.

The point is, it's getting pretty good, so tune in if you've got Bravo.


  1. I watched both of those episodes from Tivo too...

    I am frustrated by the fact nobody else in school watches it.

    I think that if you believe something is unethical you shouldn't do it. I think they crossed the line by reading false statements into evidence. Especially since they were on television. I wouldn't want to be known as the person who sold my ethics to a reality tv show.

  2. I watch that show in TIVO, too. I gotta say I though that lawyer had a very greivous lapse in judgment. She shoulda been canned. Black did mention it in conference, but I guess ethical fudges in favor of your client don't bug him much. Plus, that particular lawyer is a total bimbo; makes great camera candy.

    I thought Chris got hosed last episode. Mike should have gotten the boot on performance grounds, but he is such an asshole that he, too, make great TV.