Interview Time

For those who haven't been following along, I volunteered over at Leslie's Omnibus to be "interviewed" - or to answer 5 questions at least.

If you'd like to play along, here's how it works:
Leave me a comment saying “Interview me, please.” I will respond by asking you five questions here on my blog (ideally, not the same questions you see here.) You update your blog with the answers to the questions. In that same post, you will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else. When others comment, asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.

Here we go...

Dax is a two-pillow sleeper. How many pillow do you prefer, what kind (feather, down, foam, fiberfill, buckwheat...) and why? This has changed a lot over the past few years. Right now, I have one of those memory foam pillows that I love. But I feel like it's not high enough, so I sometimes put another thin, flat pillow under it. I also keep a lot of other pillows on the bed, but they're just for when I sit in bed watching The Amazing Race reruns on GSN and blogging, like right now, and then I throw them all on the floor when it's time for bed.

But, actually, I think that for the past few weeks, I've been waking up with a little bit of a stiff neck, so it might be time to look into a new pillow set-up.

Who was your favorite relative as a child? Definitely my gram - my mother's mother. I was the favorite grandchild and she'd always bring me a little gift (my favorite was those boxes of Barnum's Animal Crackers because after they were gone, I'd pretend the box, which had a string handle, was a purse.)

When I think about it now, we had such different lives: she probably went as far as the 8th grade, she got married when she was about 16, and had lots and lots of kids. But then again, we have a lot in common: we both care a lot about family, and she taught me that you should really do things that you can be proud of. Gram died in 1999, before I even knew I was going to law school (more on that below).

Sometimes I think about it, and I wonder what she, or even her parents, would think of me - they were farm people and I don't know if they'd be wowed or worried that their granddaughter turned into a lawyer.

How and when did you decide you wanted to become an attorney? A public defender? It was the summer before my senior year of college, so, also the summer of 1999. (That was actually a pretty big year for me.) I needed a few more credits toward my politics minor, and I thought I'd try to do an internship, just because it'd be more fun than sitting in a classroom. I sent out resumes to a million different places, including some PACs, some political candidates, and one to a public defender's office. The PD's intern program was for college students to be "intern investigators" and they had a great training program and then turned us loose to investiate cases. I applied to it because I thought it'd be fun, and I guess I thought that maybe I'd want to be an investigator. (I had no real plan on what I was going to do after I graduated.)

I think that I heard from the Public Defender's office first, and just kind of gave up on the rest of the applications. I still had a lot of paperwork to do to make sure I could get credits from my college, and I had to find housing near the PD's office, and I was just in a hurry to get something going.

All of the other interns at the PD's office were applying to law school, and had already taken their LSATs and were always talking about things like law school rankings, and I think I felt kind of cool that I wasn't a loser like them. During the internship, though, I just started to think that what the attorneys did was cool, so I started to think about going to law school. So, I took the LSAT really quick and started applying to law schools, not really knowing much about what the whole law school thing was about (but, on the other hand, I knew exactly what I wanted to be when I got out!).

So, my decision to be an attorney and to be a public defender were one and the same. I went to law school ONLY to be a public defender, and was pretty disappointed to find out that you have to take all of these other pointless classes. Contracts? Can't we just skip to the part about contract killings? Property? You mean I can't just focus on "Stolen Property"?

I also was really interested in the death penalty, and thought I'd eventually want to do capital defense. I haven't completely ruled it out, but as of right now, it interests me a lot less. Right now, the part of my job that I love the most of is the rotation of my cases. The fact that I get a new case, I devote myself to it for a few months to a year, and then it's gone and done. I mentioned last week that I handled about 700 cases in the past year, and I think that keeps it exciting and interesting. The capital lawyers that I know handled one, maybe two cases in the year. I know it sounds crazy, but I think I'd get frustrated and bored. But maybe someday I'll be ready to settle down and devote myself to one case like that.

If you had $5,000 and 24 hours to spend it all -- and you had to spend it all, how would you do it? I'd actually do a lot of damage with this - I very rarely treat myself to things I want (I'm "frugal"), and even when I need something, I never have enough time to shop. So, let's assume I have the day off, and go for it. First, I'm running straight to a big department store, and the first thing I'm buying is fancy expensive nice sheets. Some fancy new pots and pans from Williams-Sonoma. I'd get a few new suits and nice shoes. Ok, that's enough for me. Then it's time for gifts for everyone - my parents, my boyfriend, my friends. Did I spend it all yet? If not, I'd be tired from shopping, and I'd use whatever is left over on a big spa day for my mother and me.

If you could turn a favorite book into a movie, which book would it be, and how would you cast it? This is, by far, the hardest question. First, my favorite book of all time, A Prayer for Owen Meany, was already made into a movie. And a bad one, at that. (Simon Birch is very loosely based on Owen Meany - too loosely, which made it crappy).

So, I was thinking about The Time Traveler's Wife, because I just read it and it was good, but I have such a hard time picturing characters I read in books. When I read, it just doesn't work that way.

Clare, the title character, has red curly hair, and she's all different ages throughout the book. I guess we could use any actress and dye or perm their hair if we have to... For some reason, I'm thinking maybe Mary-Louise Parker for the adult Clare? Because she's sort of smart, and hip yet could play vulnerable. And I think Robert Downey, Jr. might make a good Henry. Something about his physical build, and the ability to play someone funny, who doesn't realize it's funny, with almost a physical sort-of comedy. Hmmm... I wonder if they've ever done a movie together...

Wow, that was kind of tough, but fun. Who's up for being interviewed next?

5 comments:

  1. Great job! Interesting choice for a movie... I loved that book, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, interesting to find out some things about you! Good choice on the memory foam pillow, although not good if it's giving you a stiff neck (I have one for my fat head). So you were one of us for a while huh? Pretty cool. I did a year of law school then decided investigations was what I was meant for...most of my friends don't know that.


    I'd volunteer for questionins but I couldn't bear it if nobody volunteered for questions from me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't leave a fellow blonde without anyone to ask questions to, so I'll be interviewed (when I first saw it I thought it would be fun but I was worried nobody would want me to interview them. Hopefully someone will be willing to have me ask them questions-but if not ohh well.

    PS-I added a link to you on my site.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, give me a few days, I'll try to come up with some good questions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found this site using [url=http://google.com]google.com[/url] And i want to thank you for your work. You have done really very good site. Great work, great site! Thank you!

    Sorry for offtopic

    ReplyDelete