The Law Firm

A few people have asked whether I'm going to watch The Law Firm, whether I'm going to recap The Law Firm, etc.

I did miss the first episode on Thursday night, but it looks like Bravo (aka the NBC rerun network) will be showing it again almost every day this week. So, I will get to see it.

And then I'll decide what I think and whether I want to recap it. I'm not sure that I'll like it. First, I don't really like The Apprentice, and I'm afraid that it will be like The Apprentice for Lawyers. And, also, I know this is going to sound bad, and I'm sorry, but I don't really like lawyers. No, seriously. Well, I like criminal defense lawyers, of course. But I feel like we're a whole different breed of lawyer. And I guess I probably like most public interest lawyers in general. And I have a few friends that are lawyers, and I like them as friends but I probably wouldn't want to watch a TV show about their work. For example, people who could spend all day with people who are quibbling about what they get to keep in the divorce? Not to knock divorce lawyers, but that holds no interest for me. That's not "the law." I mean, when was the last time the Supreme Court reviewed a divorce case? Never. Know why? Because even they appreciate that there are just no interesting issues there. Same goes with contracts disputes. And slip and falls. And even most car accidents.

(Unless, of course, drunk driving was a suspected cause. Then it gets interesting.)

I'll give you another example. A year or two ago, I went to a thing (let's just leave it at "a thing") where there were a lot of young lawyers. It didn't take me long to realize that they were all probably horrible people. Or, even if they were alright people, they were certainly not people I'd want to be friends with. They were all bragging about their billable hours and using their cell phones to call and shout at their paralegals. Yick. I looked around and tried to find another criminal defense lawyer - or even a prosecutor, at least we'd be in the same tax bracket and have something in common to talk about - but there were none there. In the end, I felt pretty ashamed of our crappy profession and just, well, embarassed for these young people who were so young and already so arrogant. They were so arrogant and they had probably never even met one single client of their firm, because they probably spend all day doing document review or something, let alone help someone. It was sad.

Anyway, what was I talking about? Oh, The Law Firm. Ok, I'm not saying I have to like a show to recap it. Because, it was weird, I sort of liked Beauty & The Geek, but it was also sort of the It's-terrible-but-I-can't-look-away-phenomenon, like driving past a car wreck. But, there's a difference between that and just downright annoyance.

Point is, I'll watch an episode of The Law Firm, but I can't promise anything more than that. Good? Good.


  1. I totally agree with the general dislike of lawyers. I did catch most of the first episode of the Law Firm. I figure I will give it another week before I ditch it, because the first episode wasn't great, but wasn't awful. On the plus side there are at least two PDs in the group and I was already rooting for them of course.

  2. Stanton v. Stanton, 421 U.S. 7 (1975). The federal question was whether Utah's law requiring child support payments for male children through age 21 and female children through age 18 was violative of the Equal Protection Clause.

    It was.

  3. Honestly, while that is a divorce case, it's more of a con law question too... and either way, it was decided BEFORE I WAS BORN. So, um, yeah... =)

  4. Well put! As a 3L destined for criminal defense -- and, of course, surrounded at school by a great number of people headed for a far different type of career -- it's refreshing to hear your take on lawyers and the law.

    My take is that Biglaw people by in large tend to either be big jerks, or self-loathing people who somehow try to justify what they're doing or imagine they're above the fray (i.e., the blogger "Opinionista", if you've ever read her).

  5. Well, I tried to watch it tonight on Tivo, and then I got about 10 minutes into it when the boyfriend walked in and said, "Oh, you're watching that? I thought you were going to wait for me!" So, then I turned it off and didn't get to watch it.

    But I'm going to watch it, and then read Ditzy Genius's recap, and then let y'all know what I think, if I have anything worthwhile to add.

    (And I've never read Opinionista - and I couldn't tell whether this was an endorsement and I should check it out, or the opposite and something that will just annoy me?)

  6. "Opinionistas" (Google it and you'll find the link to the blog) is written by a Ivy League law graduate (as she repeatedly reminds the world) who works in NYC Biglaw. While she recites the litany of typical anecdotes about such firms with a fair amount of humor, there's also a thick streak of self-loathing that she attempts to pass off as self-awareness. It's a compelling train wreck of a read, I suppose.

    Will it annoy you? Hmm . . . I think maybe it will make you happy . . . to be a PD. And to be somebody who can look at herself in the mirror and not wince.

  7. Honestly, while that is a divorce case, it's more of a con law question too... and either way, it was decided BEFORE I WAS BORN. So, um, yeah... =)

    I'll keep that limitation in mind if you ever happen to suggest that illegally-obtained evidence should be excluded, since presumably Mapp was decided before you were born too...


  8. No, no, I'm not trying to say that cases that were decided before I was born don't have merit or shouldn't be followed. I even think that this case, Stanton v. Stanton, as you cited it, is a good case that should be followed.

    I just think that one of the things I like about criminal law is how dynamic it is, how there's always something to learn because the law is always changing or being clarified. I could be wrong, but I don't think it's the same in some other areas of law.

    But you probably knew that's what I meant. =)