Friday Spies

Quick, while it's still Saturday. As always, brought to you by the boys of BTQ.

1. Why did you start blogging? I've actually had a blog or 2 before this one. (1 was way before the word "blog" was even invented.) And, I guess the point was so that my friends could know what was going on in my life. Kind of a "keeping in touch" thing, in place of sending out bulk emails that said "I got into law school!" or whatever else was going on. At some point, I realized I wanted to blog about my job the most, but didn't think I could really do it on a non-anonymous blog. So, I created Blonde Justice. Aren't ya' glad?

2. Are the reasons you blog now the same as when you started? If not, what's changed? Well, no. Pretty much none of my friends know about this blog. So, keeping in touch is definitely not the reason I blog now. Now, it's sort of venting, and it keeps me entertained. Lately, I haven't felt too entertaining, so I've been kind of slacking, but my intent is to at least keep posting somewhat regularly and see if I feel more into it in a few weeks. And my other reason for blogging is that I enjoy writing it and I hope that it keeps some other people entertained too.

3. What would make blogging better for you? Blogging would be better if I could stop worrying about staying anonymous. There are a lot of times when I think, "Oh, I need to blog about..." but there's just no way for it to be anonymous enough. Like, If I'm on trial. You might notice a decline in posts. But you don't know if it's because I'm on vacation, or I'm sick, or what. And, I guess I could write "Yeah, I'm on trial, drug sale, blah blah blah..." and I wouldn't worry that any of my regular readers would think, "Ok, how I can use this to narrow it down? How many young blonde lawyers in big cities were on trial with drug sales this week? And now her imood says she's happy, so maybe she won?" I'm not worried about my readers stalking me, I'm more worried that either a colleague or an adversary stumbles upon this and says, "Hey, I know someone who won a drug sale trial last week... and, hey... what's it say for this week? She's on vacation? Hey, the person that I know who won the drug sale trial last week is on vacation this week! Hey, I think I know who this is!" Whatever, maybe I'm just paranoid. But better safe than sorry.

4. Do you have comments on your blog? Why or why not? Do you comment on other blogs? What motivates you to post a comment? I have comments on my blog. Sometimes I think about removing them or at least getting rid of anonymous commenting. I'm in favor of an open discussion in the comments but I know that sometimes people leave flame-type comments just for the sake of being an asshole, and that bugs me. I suppose I could delete them, but then I wonder if that gives them some additional satisfaction.

I do comment on other people's blogs. Why? Because I have something to say, or I just want them to know someone relates, or read what they wrote, or whatever. But usually just when I have something to say.

5. What is your philosophy of the blogroll? Eh. I try to make it blogs I want to read the most. On that list of 40 blogs, there's maybe 10 I check on a daily or near-daily basis. The rest I check maybe weekly or every-other-week. I guess, theoretically, I could edit it down to the top 10, but there are times when I want to check out the others. A few times people have emailed me or specifically asked for a link. I don't usually do it just because someone asked or because someone linked to me. Generally, I have to like to read what I'm linking. But, on the other hand, I don't want to be "mean" and not link to someone who asked for it.

I also have a folder in my favorites of blogs that I've found that link to me. My intention is that I'll keep an eye on these blogs for a few weeks, and if I like them, maybe I'll add a link. It's hard, though, because I don't update my blogroll as much as I should, and sometimes people start a blog and abandon it before I even get around to adding the link.

And, finally, on that note, I try to have a one-month rule. If you haven't updated your blog in a month, you're kicked off my blogroll (or, at least, you will be, the next time I update it.) If and when you return, I'll re-add you. But, if the point of a blogroll is to have a list of blogs that I read, I don't want to keep clicking on a blog that hasn't been updated in forever. And, although the * next to newly updated blogs sometimes work, it doesn't always.

2 comments:

  1. Your blog, along with a small handful of others, let me know what it means to be a PD. Your posts lately have been fun and entertaining. I miss your work-related posts, though.

    ReplyDelete