Beauty & The Geek - Episode 1

So, what did everyone think of Beauty & The Geek last night?

If you didn't see it, here's what you missed: (Yes, here is your very own TwoP-style recaplet. Except, much shorter, because I have to get ready for work.) They took 7 beautiful girls. I'd guess that they were all about 18-24, and they all have occupations like "Beer Spokesperson," "Life-Size Barbie Model" and "NBA Dancer" and aren't too bright. Ok, fine, let's not discriminate, "academically challenged."

They also took 7 intelligent guys. The guys are not so attractive, but have occupations like "Neuro-something-or-other" and "Boy Scout leader" and "Mensa member." Wait, mensa member is an occupation? Oh, and another guy's occupation was "President, Dukes of Hazard fan club." Whatever, you know these guys live in their moms' basements and play dungeons & dragons all day. One guy (the Dukes of Hazard guy) mentions being a 29-year-old virgin, and at least one other guy mentioned that he had never been kissed.

The boyfriend thought it was a little exaggerated or a little staged. (He thinks this with most reality shows.) But, let me tell you, the geekiest guy... Richard... is exactly like almost every guy in my high school. Although, I admit, it seems that he plays up his geekiness, but that could be defense mechanism - as in, hey, if I'm going to be a geek, I'm going to be the geekiest, and at least entertain people with it.

(The boyfriend, reading over my shoulder to make sure I didn't misquote him, warns me that I went to such a geeky high school that I may have just blown my anonymity. Yes, people all of the country will be writing in to say "I know where you went to school!")

Also, did it bother anyone else that they were all white? What, only white people can be beauties? Or geeks? C'mon, WB, where's the diversity?

The men and women are paired into teams (But why do they have to sleep in the same bed? "It's not a 'dating' show, it's a 'social experiment.'" What does bed sharing add to the experiment?) and engage in competitions. Basically, the womens' competition involved intelligence (this episode, they were asked 5th grade questions like "Spell 'tattoo,'" which I happen to think is a tough word to spell) and the mens' competition involved pop culture or general... I don't know... coolness (this episode, it was a dance competition). They each get to tutor their teammate a little bit before the competition.

One great exchange from a tutoring session:
"What was the date of D-Day?"
"I don't know."
"1942."
"No, 1942 is when Columbus sailed the ocean blue."
You're both wrong anyway, D-Day was 6/6/1944. And Columbus sailed the ocean blue in 1492. Moving on...

One guy (Chuck) keeps getting nosebleeds whenever he's nervous (which is a lot). He says something like "I was getting a little hypertensive," and his partner just stands there, obviously thinking "What the heck did he just say?" He got another nosebleed during the dance competition (which I thought they should have won!) and he was amazed that his partner (Caitilin, pronounced kite-a-lyn) wiped the blood away with her hand. Yeah, so was I. Chuck said something to the camera like, "Being in the medical field, we usually try to avoid touching blood directly." Um, yeah, being in most fields we try to avoid touching other people's blood. Maybe she assumed that because he's such a geek there's no chance he'd have anything "catchy" in his blood? Or maybe she never learned too much about those risky blood-borne illnesses? Either way, I'd watch out for her. Who knows what kind of risky behaviors she's engaged in?

The winners of each competition (this week, they happened to be partners), pick 2 teams (the woman winner picks one, the male winner picks one) to go into the "elimination room." But, watch out, the one you pick to send into the elimination room that doesn't get eliminated may come back to haunt you.

The two teams sent to the elimination room engage in a quiz-off. The woman, again, are asked to answer questions like "Who is the prime minister of England?" and the men are asked questions like, "Who sings 'In Da Club?'"

Already, some of the women are developing sympathy for the geeks. Standing in front of an audience answering the "5th grade questions," one of the women commented that she felt really awkward or embarrassed and "This must be how Joe (her partner) feels everytime he goes into the mall." Actually, so far, I'd guess that Joe is the cutest and least geeky of them all. If that Clay Aiken guy could win American Idol, I don't see how this guy could be labeled a "geek," but we'll have to wait and see him a little more, I guess.

Although it's not a dating show, I'll be interested to see what romances develop. I wonder if part of the social experiment is how attractive the men around you start to look when there's been no one else around for a few weeks. (As far as I can tell, that's how the guys in my high school "got some," by the way.) Already, one romance may be developing between Erika and Brad. They're not partners, but she snuck into his room on the first night for some "company." And then, when she was sent to the elimination room, she mentioned that she wanted to avoid elimination just because she would "never see Brad again."

As if she was more concerned with that and less concerned with losing out on the big cash prize. That's right, ladies and gentlemen, the teams are also playing for a huge cash prize. How much, you ask? $250,000. Which I assume they're splitting, but maybe not. C'mon, Ashton, you couldn't put up a little of your own dough for this experiment?

So, that's the recap. (Oh, and in case you're wondering, Eric and Cheryl were eliminated.) Overall, I thought it was cute. And, since there isn't a whole lot on television over the summer, I'll probably "season pass" it. So, expect more recaps to come, and let me know what you thought.

10 comments:

  1. Ok, the Brad guy looks a lot like a friend of mine from undergrad (at least his face) who was an Abercrombie model. He might not have the same social skills or be in quite as good of shape, but I think he's got more cool potential than many.

    I thought the partners who were voted out were really good. The girl actually seemed to be pretty nice and down to earth. The guy just needed a new haircut.

    I think I'll season pass it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I wonder if part of the social experiment is how attractive the men around you start to look when there's been no one else around for a few weeks."

    As far as I can tell, that's how people in law school get action.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know the second the show's over, the girls will go back to their model/athlete boyfriends. Especially since they now associate geeky guys with humiliating spelling quizzes.

    I'm confused about the bed thing. All the girls sleep in one bed together, and all the guys sleep in one bed together?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been disappointed by most reality shows I've seen---they just don't work for me---so I don't even try them anymore. This one is no exception, despite my geek persuasion. I'm pretty sure that I'll enjoy reading your reviews much more than I would enjoy watching the show.

    As a geek, I spent many years studying and working at the Illinois Institute of Technology which, despite the name, is a four-year PhD-granting university, albeit with a strong emphasis on science and engineering.

    Every year, a new crop of freshmen women would arrive on campus. They were just out of senior year of high school and usually came in looking pretty hot, at least for the first couple of months.

    The thing is, IIT had an 8-to-1 male-to-female ratio, so hotness was not actually a requirement for women to get attention. Hotness was also a lot of work, especially for someone trying to earn a fairly difficult degree.

    It was fascinating to watch as over the year these young ladies would begin to relax their standards of dress, makeup, and eventually in some cases, hygiene, as they slowly turned into engineers.

    I think that if next season's Beauty & the Geek swaps genders so all the geeks are ladies, I may have to watch. Geeky chicks are cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, silly, each boy/girl team shares a bed. Except, strangely, one team has a bedroom with 2 twin beds, so they don't share a bed. I don't know why that happened, and why only 1 team doesn't have to share a bed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm... a gender-reversed show would be very interesting.

    I get it now. I was wondering how huge those beds were. (Seven geeks in a bed, and the little one said... "I'm crowded. Roll over.")

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG Erika is such a slut, I think she totally betrayed her partner Joe when she just lied in Brad's bed all of a sudden. I mean, it was like the first day she met him and they didn't even talk, she just jumped in his bed ^ ^
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't seen the show, but I know geek Richard, and he really, really is exactly the way I understand the show portrays him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just stumbled on your blog and had to post. I actually graduated high school with Brad, but he was one of the "cute geeks," so I don't think the show is very fair. And I agree, where are the Erkles and Horshacks? I haven't seen the show, but I may check back here for updates ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think Mindi is the hottest of the bunch, and not just because of her looks. She's pretty sweet, and not all that dumb either.

    ReplyDelete