People You Meet During Exams

Over at Barely Legal: The Blog, discussion has turned from law school classmates to law school exams. And how classmates dress for exams.

As some of you may know, I once went to law school. I even attended exams. Passed some too. So, I'll add my two cents.

First, I want to say there's nothing wrong with dressing nice for exams. Not that I ever wore an evening gown or anything to exams, but I feel that by getting up and making an effort to get dressed nicely, I feel more awake than I did when I went to an exam in my comfy cozy bum-around-the-house clothes. And it's kind of like when you put on your lucky suit for a trial - you feel like you've got your game face on. So, that's my opinion on that.

Next, I want to mention the people you smell during exams. I'll never forget that during my very first law school exam (Torts! See how I remember?) some woman wore some kind of horrid perfume that distracted me for the entire four hours. After that, I vowed to I douse myself in perfume before every law school exam. Best case scenario, I figured, I'd smell myself and I'd smell nice and it would block out anyone else's bad smells. Worst case scenario (or maybe this is the best case scenario, depending who's point of view we're talking about here), I distract a few other people. Better them than me. Besides, I wear pretty perfume, not horrid stinky perfume.

Finally, a question about dressing for exams. (I expect an answer from Ken on this one). Is it true that Virginia requires you to wear a suit to the bar exam? That sucks. I mean, I'm a proponent of dressing nice for exams, but they shouldn't force you to suit up. What's the point? And, then, to make it worse, I heard that they make you wear a suit with sneakers. Something about not ruining their floors. That really sucks. Ken, please admit or deny. There may be some aspiring Virginia lawyers out there who are stylish enough to refuse to wear the suit & sneakers combo - they're relying on you, Ken.

Alright, that's enough about law school exams. Except to say, go get 'em blawgers. And better you than me. =)

7 comments:

  1. It was stupid wearing a suit for the bar, but it wasn't that awful. You're so distracted by the actual exam that you don't realize you're wearing it. I wore a comfy pants suit and Vans. I was stylin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I plan on wearing my WTF? shirt to the bar exam, hoping that it will relax me. Maybe. Or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took the Va bar. Girls can get away with non-suit attire, especially since you're allowed to wear sweaters (people were in black pants and a shell w/ fleece jacket). guys get screwed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know what I'll wear to take the actual bar exam, but for law exams I try to dress nice. When I go looking like a slob, I feel like a slob too. I think there's something psychological that goes along with that and makes my exams worse. I'd rather feel good during the exam.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I took the VA Bar, and the rule says "courtroom attire," which everyone interprets (correctly) as meaning "suit." But "nan" is right that girls can get away with slacks and a sweater set.

    The sneakers "rule" is not exactly true. The rule is that you can't wear shoes that make a lot of noise when you walk, so as to not distract your fellow test-takers (it has nothing to do with floor protection). Most everyone opts, then, for athletic shoes, but I wore dress shoes that had rubber soles and were quiet, mostly because I didn't want to look like an idiot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The real issue with the VA bar is not the suit, it's the TIE. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I knew one guy in law school who dressed up for finals as a way of preparing for the VA bar dress code, but that's just way too over the top. Of course, having to show up in courtroom attire does not equal having to sit there for two day like that. Most of the guys had the coats off, the ties loosened, the collars undone, and the sleeves rolled up pretty quickly. For some reason, though, it didn't bother me, and I took the whole thing with my jacket on. Overall, I didn't think it was too much to ask of us to look halfway like lawyers, and I think there are some psychological benefits to it as well.

    ReplyDelete