I will definitely be answering the Friday Spies this week (courtesy of Milbarge at BTQ), particularly beacuse one of the questions is particularly relevant for me today. Here we go...
1. Have you ever been in a car wreck? Yes, unfortunately. First, when I was in 6th grade, my best friend and I went to the school dance and we thought it was very very cool that her older sister, who was in high school, was going to pick us up from the dance. (While everyone else had to get in their moms' minivans.) It turns out that their father was right in saying that she wasn't ready to drive by herself, and, basically, someone else pulled out in front of her and she just didn't stop. Not really her fault, but in retrospect, her inexperience as a driver may have been a factor - I don't know if a more experienced driver could've avoided the accident. No one was hurt (I had a bruise on my hip from the seatbelt), but my best friend's sister got in big trouble for taking the car out by herself at night, which was against dad's rules.
And the second and last "wreck" (we're not counting fender benders here) was exactly six years ago today, on April 1st. I was on a rainy wet road (there was actually a tornado!), trying to pull a jammed tape out of a tape player, and I completely rear-ended the car in front of me and totalled my car. It was bizarre for many reasons. First, a tornado is kind of bizarre. It hit about a block from where I had my accident. Second, I was just running out for something and was more or less wearing my pajamas (I think I had on a t-shirt, boxer shorts, and had pulled a sweatshirt over the ensemble) - to this day, I will not drive even a block without getting fully dressed. So, I'm hanging out waiting for the police in my pjs. Then, the driver I hit was about 90 years old and he told me that he had just had open heart surgery the week before, and he had the oxygen tube under his nose. But he was calm and polite to me. When the police came a half-hour later, he decided that he wanted to go to the hospital because, even though he felt fine, he wanted to get his heart checked out. But the cop kept telling me, "You'd better hope he doesn't die. You're looking at a vehicular homicide here." WTF? In the end, I didn't even get a ticket. (The "good cop" showed up and decided that since there was a tornado, the accident was probably out of my control.) And, then, finally, I called my parents, scared to death that I was going to be arrested for vehicular homicide or something, and my mother said, "Blonde, I don't have time for your April Fools" and hung up. How's that for a good story?
2. Sunrise or sunset? Sunrise. It probably means more to me because I'm just not up to see it that often.
3. If you could change, amend, delete, or pass one law, what would it be? Just one law? But there are so many things that need changing! But I guess if I only got one, I'd get rid of the death penalty. We don't really need to act so barbaric, do we?
4. What is your favorite single article of clothing? Do sandals count as clothing? I love my plain tan 2-strap sandals. Aaah, with jeans, with a sundress, with anything, that's my favorite. If sandals don't count, I've got a comfy white tank-top that I love, I wear with suits, with jeans, with anything. Maybe jeans, that's a common thread here. Oh wait, the question said "single." Oops.
5. If you could/had to spend the day hanging out with another blogger (one you don't already know), who would it be and what would you do? I'm not sure who, but I think I'd have to pick another defense attorney, because there's nothing I love more than exchanging war stories and hearing how these things work in the rest of the country. I've decided on alaskablawg, because I'm also kind of fascinated with Alaska and this whole rural-living thing. And moose.