Book Meme

I got this book meme from chickenmagazine, so I'll give it a whirl. In the interest of full disclosure, I'm mostly a pop fiction reader, with the exception of just a few biographies. I like mysteries, sometimes true crime, and girly "chick lit." (Does any of this surprise you?) There's not really a place in this survey for favorite books (since those aren't what I'd necessarily want on a desert island), so maybe someday I'll get around to just posting a list of favorite books. And with that, here goes...

1. You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be saved? I don't mean to overanalyze, but I'm not sure I get this question. I read F451 a long time ago, for school, but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to pick some actual book that was mentioned in F451 that needs saving, or just name a favorite book that I wouldn't want burned. I can't remember, were they burning all books in F451, or just some? And should I only pick books that would've been around before F451. I mean, I think Harry Potter would've been burned in F451, if they had heard of him by then. But they hadn't. Whatever, I'll pick... Go Ask Alice. I figure it might be considered a ban-worthy book, but I read it as a kid and I think that it changed my life and made me good and afraid of drugs back in those pre-DARE days.

2. Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character? Yes, I can't remember exactly which book or who, but I remember going through a pre-teen phase of reading those "young adult" romance novels and definitely feeling some pre-teen crush feelings.

3. The last book you purchased? I get a lot of books from friends or from the library, but I bought Middlesex last month. That was a really interesting book. On that same shopping trip I also bought The Scandalous Summer of Sissy LeBlanc, which I haven't read yet.

4. What are you currently reading? I'm only a few pages into Tears of the Giraffe (the second book in the No.1 Ladies Detective Agency series). I read the first book (No.1 Ladies Detective Agency) last month, not knowing it was part of a series. I loved it, so now I want to read the rest of the books.

5. Five books you would take to a deserted island? The first thing that comes to my mind is The Bible. It's long, it has a lot of stories, it would keep me busy for a while, and it would keep me hopeful of some kind of miracle. Along the same lines, I was thinking that it might be a good time to tackle a book like War & Peace and Crime & Punishment, that I'd probably never get around to reading if it weren't for being stuck on a desert island. I'd definitely want The Complete Works of O. Henry, because I love the stories and I might need a little light entertainment and short stories while working my way through the longer books. I also want a copy of Life of Pi - in case I ever get restless and consider building a raft. (Along this line, books that almost made the list are The Lord of the Flies, in case I'm not there alone, or some books on democracy, in case we got around to setting up a system of government. But I vetoed that and decided that if there are other people on the island, I will appoint myself Princess so that I can sit around reading my novels all day.)

Now, I think I'm supposed to name a few people who should do this on their blog. I figure that most people that want to do it probably already have, and those who haven't might not have wanted to, so I'll just make it an open invitation. If you're on my blogroll, I'd like to see what you books you choose.


  1. Life of Pi is a great one for a deserted island. But War and Peace and Crime and Punishment? Blech. If you're stranded on an island, you might as well read something that makes you happy. (Although I guess those books -- C&P in particular -- might make you happy that you were all alone and didn't have to deal with horrible people.)

  2. In Fahrenheit 451, the firemen were burning all books. Possession of any written material was illegal. Thus, the question is: "If you knew every book on Earth was going to be destroyed, which one would you save?" Different from the deserted island question, because this book would not be your only company.

    (Link goes to Sparknotes.)