Disappointments All Around

Somehow, the boyfriend got out of taking me to see The Pacifier. He played some big scam where he made me go from store to store looking for things he wanted, and then I was too tired to go to the movies, and then he played like, "Oh, I thought you wanted to see 'Hitch'" and "I got the movietimes for 'Hitch'" and finally, forget it, I just wanted to go home. I know he probably planned that all week.

And, another thing, I really want some kind of spaghetti carbonara. Or linguini carbonara. Heck, I'd just eat a cup of carbonara sauce (in Italian, that's called "cuppa carbonara"). It's weird, because, as a kid I hated any white sauce. But now I love it. (Hey you, the one with the dirty thoughts, cool it.) Anyway, what I'm wondering is, do you think I could figure out how to make carbonara sauce? I, um, don't really cook. Probably not? Yeah, that's what I figured... no carbonara for me, no movie for me.

I guess I'll just go put away laundry or something lame like that.


  1. You can absolutely make carbonara. Remember, you're a public defender; are you going to be scared of cooking some bacon? I didn't think so.

    Here's a recipe. Basically, just cook up some bacon and some chopped onion; pour in some wine and let it sit there; grate some cheese, mix it with eggs, and toss the whole mixture with pasta. You can do that.

  2. C'mon. It's so easy. I know it's MUCH easier than having to look at Vin Diesel's mug for an hour and a half.


    4 eggs
    1/4 c. butter
    1/4 c. whipping cream
    1/2 lb. bacon, cut up
    1 lb. fettucine or spaghetti
    1 c. grated Parmesan or Romano
    1/4 c. snipped parsley
    Let eggs, butter and cream stand at room temperature for 2-3 hours. Cook bacon until brown, let drain. Heat ovenproof serving dish in a 250 degree oven. Meanwhile, beat together eggs and cream must until combined. Add pasta to a large amount of boiling, salted water. Cook 10-12 minutes or until tender, but firm. Drain well.

    Turn hot pasta into the heated serving dish; toss pasta with butter. Pour egg mixture over and toss until pasta is well coated. Add bacon, cheese, and parsley; toss to mix. Season to taste with pepper. Serve immediately. Makes 12 side dish servings.

  3. As someone who didn't want to see Vin Diesel's face for an hour and a half, I wish I could take credit for some masterful plan to avoid seeing him. That just wouldn't be true. I just got Hitch and the Pacifier names backward. Not that I really wanted to see Hitch either.

  4. Yeah, whatever. Go put on some clothes and make me some carbonara. =)

  5. Wow..this is good stuff. In all fairness, I have to say that your boyfriends excuse...er...reasoning makes a lotta sense...now quit bickering and cook her some food.

  6. Now come on guys. ``Bacon"! If you're going to make it yourself, you've got to do it right and use pancetta (``italian bacon"). Also, I'm not sure that it's right to call it a cream sauce, as many recipies don't use any cream. Frequently, the recipie will use either cream and egg yolks, or no cream and whole eggs. Though there's nothing wrong with making it cream based (especially if you don't have fresh Romano). You might also try cooking the pancetta in a dry white wine; cook it until it just starts to brown, then add the wine -- probably just enough to cover the pancetta, so that the pancetta will keep cooking while absorbing the wine and while the wine reduces -- and let it cook down for about 2-4 minutes. This is particularly nice if you don't use a lot of cream, as it will fill out the sauce without making it too watery (add adds a lot of flavour!).

    Ugh. And to think, my local market doesn't even have pancetta.


  7. wow, Gus, it sounds like you can teach our local Italian restaraunt owner a thing or two.