Without Further Ado

And, Finally, I present to you the results of my Mix CD. I really hope that I didn't build it up so much that you'll be disappointed.

I decided to go with a theme of "Songs of '04." (In fact, the title of the CD is "20 Favorites of 04." How original.) (Want to see a photo, so you can enjoy the title and the pink all together? It's here.)

The problem with a year in review CD is that by the end of the year (and a few weeks burning the CD), you end up kind of tired of the songs. But I think it's a nice thing to have, and a year or two down the road you can pop it in and remember a good year. I wanted to pick a few of the Pop songs, because even if they annoyed me this year, I think someday I'll hear them and say "Yeah, that reminds me of Summer of 04 when that song was all over the radio..." I also wanted to pick a few more obscure songs, partly to keep this from being "Totally Hits 2004" and also because, well, that's the kind of stuff I generally enjoy more.

A Side (No, it's not some kind of 2 sided CD. I was just reminiscing for the days of good old fashioned mix tapes, so I broke the CD up into two "sides." Live with it.)

1. U2 - Vertigo - Uno, Dos, Tres, Catorce. Yeah, I dunno, I don't get it either. I'm not a big U2 fan, but I think of this as a great driving song. I like to turn the song up and shout "Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah!"

2. Modest Mouse - Ocean Breathes Salty - I first heard of Modest Mouse in '04. How could you miss "Float On?" It was everywhere this year. I'd like them to not be a one hit wonder, and I like this song, it's kinda catchy.

3. Kevin Lyttle - Turn Me On - I first heard this song when I went to Philadelphia for a friend's bachelorette party. All of the ladies were piled into a car, dressed to the 9s and headed for a night on the town. When this song came on, my friend cranked the volume and everyone started singing along. And I hadn't heard it yet. A few weeks later, it was playing in my hometown and it'll always remind me of a fun night out with friends.

4. Ashlee Simpson - LaLa - That poor girl took so much flack this year. But I think she's cute, and I like her show. I like the CD and I think this is a great "turn it loud, dance in your underwear, and sing into your hairbrush" tune. P.S. I think "LaLa" means sex.

5. Gavin Degraw - I Don't Wanna Be - That's a good message. You don't have to be anything other than what you've been trying to be lately.

6. JKwon - Tipsy - "Teen drinking is very bad." "Yo, I got a fake ID though." This is a great fun catchy happy song. Errrybody in da club get tipsy. (And where did I first hear this song? From my clients in a cell, of course.)

7. Fefe Dobson - Everything - Fefe is Canadian. She strikes me a pop chick with a good voice who isn't overly mass produced or anything. And this is a cool song. Also, I think that this is the album version, which I liked better than the radio version, so if you already decided to dislike this song on the basis of what you heard on the radio, at least give this version a chance.

8. Carbon Leaf - Life Less Ordinary - I really really dig this song. I just loove it. I've tried listening to a few other Carbon Leaf songs, but they just didn't do it for me. I don't know what their background is, but it's very different to anything else I listen to. This song is just so fun to listen to.

9. Counting Crows - Accidentally In Love - Purely pop, this is just a cute song, that, of course, reminds me of Shrek 2. And it's good to hear something good from Counting Crows.

10. Lazyboy - Underwear Goes Inside The Pants - This just just cracked me up the first time I heard it, and it still puts a smile on my face. And I agree with so much of what is expressed here. ("And then I thought, 'That's what I'm going to use it on.'") If you haven't heard it yet (and if you read my blog, I told you to listen to this months ago), here's your chance.

(And this concludes Side A.)

Side B (See, doesn't it feel nice to have that break between sides? Didn't you miss that on your newfangled CDs?)

11. Kanye West - Jesus Walks - I think this is a great song, and really groundbreaking in the genre. Kanye West is a great artist (he previously produced for Alicia Keys and Jay-Z) and I think we'll be hearing more from him in '05.

12. G. Love - Astronaut - I've been a G. Love fan back since "Cold Beverage" was on regular rotation at college parties, and I think this is another fun song.

13. Eminem - Just Lose It - Every year needs a new Eminem hit, and this was probably the best of '04. Love him or hate him, he makes catchy songs. Not to mention the videos.

14. Ryan Cabrera - On The Way Down - Perhaps best known as Ashlee Simpson's boyfriend, here's your serving of the boy pop of '04.

15. Dashboard Confessional - Vindicated - This was the year I also discovered Dashboard Confessional. I chose this song, because it's a good '04 release (but my favorite Dashboard Confessional songs would be Hands Down or Screaming Infidelities, which were released earlier).

16. Vanessa Carlton - White Houses - I was never a Vanessa Carlton fan (I think I got her confused with Michelle Branch and some of those other girls), but this song reminds me of summers spent at the beach. I originally called it "Pink Houses" on this list, but it's definitely "White Houses." See the comments.

17. Jay-Z - 99 Problems - How can a defense attorney not love this song? From the first time I heard this song, I hoped that maybe one of my clients would learn something from this song about their rights. ("I aint passed the bar but I know a little bit, Enough that you won't illegally search my shit.") And this song is just a little too catchy - try to keep yourself from walking around the office singing, "I got 99 problems, but a bitch aint one."

18. Maria Mena - You're The Only One - A cute song with a great attitude. She's Norwegian, and this girl is beautiful.

19. Frou Frou - Let Go - The Garden State Soundtrack was, by far, my favorite CD of '04. So, it was only right to pick a representative tune. I chose this one with the assistance of my ever-helpful blog commenters.

20. Ray Charles featuring Natalie Cole - Fever - I decided that it was right to remember the '04 passing of a great artist, and I will definitely miss Ray Charles. I chose this off the Genius Loves Company CD because I figured that made it an '04 release. (Sticking with the theme, get it?)

(This concludes Side B.)

7 comments:

  1. Looks like a good mix cd. There are quite a few singers/bands on there that I don't know. I'm really surprised to see Carbon Leaf on there! Not many people in Texas have heard of them. G Love is tops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vanessa Carlton - Pink Houses

    I recognize your love of pink, but I think that might be "White Houses."

    I didn't count myself a fan either, but the video for "White Houses" is amazing. Have you seen it?

    It's her fourth video, and only now does she decide to bring out the Dancing. And I'm not just talking about vigorously shaking her body to the music (not that there's anything wrong with that), but real professional Dancing. And she waits through four videos to show it to us. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, you're right, it's White Houses.

    I think that every time I go to type it I think of John (Cougar?) Mellencamp singing, "Little pink houses for you and me."

    Or maybe it's just my obsession with pink coming through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yo, I got 99 problems.... Speaking of which, may get a chuckle out of learning how my CrimPro prof started the class last week. He was saying that many people are highly critical of our criminal justice system, then he said we were going to watch a short powerpoint presentation and listen to what some of those critics have to say about the system. The next thing we knew, NWA "Fuck tha Police" was blasting through the classroom of over 100 students, while the lyrics scrolled in foot-tall letters on the projection screen at the front of the room. This was followed by:
    KRS-1: Sound of da Police,
    Prince Paul: The Men in Blue ("NY's largest crew"),
    and, you guessed it:
    Jay-Z: 99 Problems

    Oh yeah. I got 99 problems but CrimPro aint one. I'm gonna love that class.

    But you're right, the real trouble w/that song is it's too catchy. You just can't *not* walk around singing that riff for the rest of the day after you hear it, and it can be so inappropriate in so many contexts (esp. to people who have never actually listened to the words).

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have another good "99 problems" story:
    my friend (black guy in his late 20s) gets pulled over by the police b/c he fits the description of a wanted felon (or some BS like that). the cop tries to get him to consent to a search of his car. and my friend quotes the Jay-Z line!! too funny. the cop, however, was not amused. but it worked and the car was not searched.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing! That's exactly what I'm hoping will happen! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete