Most Dangerous Place in America*

Ken at CrimLaw writes about defense attorneys and the media.

Which reminds me... A while back, I went to a seminar for new attorneys taught by a well known (locally, at least) criminal defense attorney. After the class was officially over, a few people were still mulling around and bullshitting with the attorney.

Somehow, the conversation turned to perp walks (when your client is walked from the cop car into the courthouse or vice versa, generally for the benefit of the news cameras) and other occasions when your client has occasion to speak to or be seen by the media.

"I'm going to give you a good tip that someone once gave me," the well known attorney said. "I never touch my clients. Never more than a handshake. You want to set boundaries. But when the press is around, always keep your hand on your client's back or around their shoulder or even wrap your arm in their arm."

Hmm... I thought of all those times I've seen celebrities coming out of court, their lawyers arms around them. "They're awfully lovey-dovey," I thought.

"Do you know why?" the well known attorney asked.

"So you have more control of whether or not they talk?" one person guessed.

"No, not quite. If your arms and entwined, it makes it harder for them to cut you out of the shot."

*The title of this post comes from that old joke: "What's the most dangerous place in America?" "Between a defense lawyer and a camera."

3 comments:

  1. My preference would be to stay out of the media and go about doing the best job possible on all my cases. Reality sometimes has a different idea though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My preference would be to stay out of the media and go about doing the best job possible on all my cases. Reality sometimes has a different idea though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haa. that's funny. It's very funny because in my client counseling class. My professors ( one worked at the firm that represented Monica Lewinksy) were all "man if you can get away with it, never talk to the media. Unfortunately some people . . . are media magnets but yeah avoid it if you can" So that's funny that there is this guy who is a media lover.

    ReplyDelete