The Exonerated

I tried to mention it earlier but Blogger messed up and then I didn't get another chance... but, I highly recommend The Exonerated which premiered on CourtTV this week.

I haven't watched it yet (it's on my Tivo), but I saw it Off-Broadway a few years ago, and it was excellent.

It should be required viewing for anyone working, or thinking of working, in criminal law.

It's airing again this afternoon, check your local listings for showtimes.


  1. I never got to see it; however, I did see Marlo Thomas and some co-stars, as well as the woman on whom it is based (it is a woman, right?) at a NACDL conference in NYC several years ago. It really was quite moving. I'll have to watch it, as long as it doesn't conflict with Desparate Housewives.

  2. The play (and movie) show the stories of 6 people who were convicted of murder (in some cases rape and murder), who are exonerated. One of the people is a woman named Sunny Jacobs. In the movie, Sunny Jacobs is played by Susan Sarandon. When I saw the play, she was played by (a very pregnant) Brooke Shields. I thought Brooke Shields was excellent in the role because she really portrayed a naive young woman swept up in the justice system.

    Also, when I saw the play, one of the men portrayed was in the audience. I'm sure that it was difficult for each of these people to recount such a trying time in their life, but it really does a lot of good to show how people - police, lawyers, judges, and jurors - can make mistakes, and how adverse the effects can be.

  3. Here is an article that has a few things to say about 'The Exonerated'.
    I know it is on a very right wing website and the author is using it to link it up to the death penalty, but I think the important part is that the movie portrays two people who are in fact guilty and have said themselves to be guilty through pleas as not guilty or exconerated. I think it is alwasy good to get both sides of the story. I do really like your blog though. Keep it up.

  4. It's not just National Review Online that raises some quesitons. Here are the links to the NRO story as well as USA Today's and the NY Times. The Times is more upbeat, but still asks some questions.

    To me 'exonerated' means actually innocent. Not cut a deal to a lesser (still murder) charge.