Could It Kill Me?

I sometimes put Burt's Bees Lemon Butter Cuticle Cream on my lips. Do you think that's ok?

Yes, I realize that they make lip stuff. In fact, I'm a big fan of that too. But I don't have that next to my bed, I have the cuticle stuff next to my bed.

I checked out the ingredients and they all looked like lip-safe things. (Almond oil, beeswax, lemon oil, vitamin E, cocoa butter, rosemary extract, beta-carotene, that sort of thing.) And I don't swallow much of it, but if I get a little on my tongue, it tastes alright. And I was thinking, it must be safe since the label doesn't say anything like "Do not put on lips."

Then I thought, does that make me one of the dumb people that they have to put dumb labels on things for? You know, the people they're thinking of when they put "Remove plastic, eat fruit while still fresh" on the instructions for a fruit basket. Or when they write "Do not put beans up nose!" on jelly beans?

Do you think there was a time when all of the Burt's Bees people were sitting around with their lawyers and the lawyers said, "Maybe you should put, 'Do not apply to lips'" and then the Burt's Bees people said, "Nah, it goes without saying. After all, it says cuticle cream. And we sell lip stuff. Our customers aren't that dumb."

So, do I have any science-type readers who could check the list of ingredients and let me know whether or not it'll kill me? Either way, I've already been putting it on my lips for a few days now. If I stop posting suddenly, you'll know it killed me. And you should arrange for a lawyer to sue on behalf of my estate, of course.

8 comments:

  1. However your estate may lose the case.

    They'll take a look at your picture to see that you were to model of perfect health and wonderfully alive in the prime of your life and then...........

    *insert screeching tire noise*

    They'll see that you were a blonde and then throw the case out.



    Otherwise, I can't swear to it but I think you'll be okay because all of that stuff is natural ingredients and they market their product that way. So my bet is that you're safe.

    But I'll keep an eye out for any sudden non blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a food scientist, I'd say that you're OK using the Lemon Butter Cuticle Cream on your lips. I haven't been involved in cosmetics, either from development or use, so I can't really speak to the effectiveness of either product.

    You may be better off using the LBC Cream on your lips than using the Beeswax Lip Balm.

    When I looked at the ingredient statements, there were 3 items that I had questions about, the sweet almond oil, candelilla wax and comfrey root extract.

    Sweet almond oil should be safe, as seen at:
    http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/DVH/HerbsTake/0,3927,4073%7CAlmond+Oil,00.html

    The candelilla wax is approved by the FDA for use as a direct food additive.

    The FDA has some serious concerns about comfrey, as you can see at the following sites,
    http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/DVH/HerbsWho/0,3923,4035|Comfrey,00.html
    http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2001/07/chrisenter.htm
    http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2001/07/westbot.htm.

    The comfrey root extract isn't going to kill you or rot your liver in the next few years, but I'd still stay away from it when possible.

    The problems with comfrey may be minimal, at best, as can be seen at this site; http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed/faqs/medi-2-15-comfrey.html

    In either case, you're more likely to die from somebody running a red light and smashing into you than using the lip balm or the cuticle cream.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! My readers rock! They're all, like, smart and stuff. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, now that I've read all of that, I feel like I was pretty smart to use the cuticle cream instead of the lip stuff.

    That comfrey root extract looks dangerous. And, did you see that another name for it is "Ass Ear?" Who wants to put that on their lips? I'm staying away from that stuff. (Well, I'll probably finish the one tube of the lip stuff that I already have and then never buy it again. That sounds ok, right?)

    But they both have sweet almond oil in them, which has a laxative effect. It says to use it as a laxative, use 2 tablespoons a day. There's no way I use that much on my lips, right?

    And how about this - "Oral sweet almond oil may result in an oily discharge from the rectum." Wow, that's a little freaky.

    Although, I'm guessing that there'd be scary effects to just about anything I could find. Right? I should check out the ingredients in regular blistex or chapstick, just to see.

    Wow, this is so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH MY GOD. I keep LBCC next to my bed, too, and I accidentally put it on my lips once, but I thought it taste weird so I never did it again.

    Man, comfrey smomfrey. There could be actual asses and ears in my Burt's Bees Lip Balm and I wouldn't care. That stuff rocks.

    -frm

    ReplyDelete
  6. What if you compared the ingredients between the lip balm and the cuticle cream to see if they really are different or if the company only switches the labels?

    I'm worried about the LBC cream and the person who keeps LBC on their bedside table. I only know LBC as Lucky Boys Confusion, a rockin' band from Chicago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. omfg this is kind of funny because i ran into this looking up stuff about various things in burts bees products. Just because something is natural doesn't make it non-toxic. But yeah, seriously I'm just as paranoid about stuff. And I had thought also that the cuticle cream is probably safer to put on your lips. I'm not sure how I feel about the comfrey root stuff for long term use. Most herbalists say not to use it long term and Burts Bees has it in some of their products that are meant to be used long term. But I don't use the lip balm for that reason. yes I'm a freak.

    ReplyDelete
  8. no, they'd have to put a label like "do not swallow"

    ReplyDelete