Things I Wish My Clients Knew (Part 1)

Your accuser and any other witnesses do not have to come to court every time that you have to come to court. This includes police officers. I know that sucks. I know you think, "Hey, if I have to be here, why don't they make him come?"

No, your case is not getting dismissed just because the person who filed a complaint against you didn't come to court. He or she didn't have to come to court. Only you did.

Some day, maybe there will be a trial. Your accuser, and any witnesses, may have to show up for some part of that trial. They'll get a chance to tell their story and I'll get a chance to ask them some questions. That will probably be the only time he or she has to come to court.

(And, I don't want to make this too complicated, but there's a chance that whatever witness you're thinking of won't be the witness that get's called at the trial. Sometimes the D.A. can and will prove the case through a different witness. And they're allowed to do that.)

I know you might think this is unfair. I know you think "I didn't do anything wrong, why am I the one being treated like a criminal and no one is doing anything to him?" Well, it's because you're the accused criminal.

I'm not saying that it's right or true or fair, it's just the way it is.

So, now you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment