Defendants Say the Darndest Things

It's generally agreed upon that my clients say the funniest things. Here's one of the funnier interactions I had this week.

(Giving some background might put it in context, but I'd rather just get to the funny stuff.)

Client: "I'm telling you, I didn't know she was married."
Me: "She didn't have a ring on her finger?"
Client: "She didn't even have a rubber band on her wrist. You know what I'm saying?"

And to be honest, I'm not quite sure I did know what he was saying.


  1. Argh. My clients NEVER say funny stuff like that. . .

    By the way, what does it mean?

  2. When I was a kid - back in the bronze age - a rubber band meant the wearer was the girl of "Joe" or "Bob" or "Pete" or whoever had given it to her.

    Kind of a cute thing that took place in prepubescence.

  3. Wow, it turns out that it MAKES SENSE? That's even funnier!

  4. i have a friend (guy) who wears rubber bands as jewelry. I don't know if its because he can't afford real jewelry or what. I'm gonna see him tonight and ask him if he's "Bob's girl".

  5. I work at a law library and self help center and the patrons I get are almost more retarded than yours!