Law and The Amazing Race

This is law related. Stick with me here.

So, for those of you who don't watch Amazing Race (and why wouldn't you?), here's some background. The concept of the show (in case you live under a rock) is that teams of 2 people, each with a pre-existing relationship, race around the world to compete for one million dollars. The race is divided into legs, each leg has its own challenges, and whichever pair comes in last in each leg of the race is eliminated.

One of the pairs this season REALLY annoys me. I feel mean watching the show and rooting for them to lose. And it's a little hard to describe, but I feel like I hate watching the show because I have this hatred for these people, yet I can't stop watching because I hate them so much. Anyway,the pair that I hate are named Mirna and Charla (awful names, really, and we've already survived one Charla on reality tv). Anyway, one of them (Charla) is a "little person." That has nothing to do with why I don't like them, of course.

Oh wait, it does. You see, Charla goes on and on about her goal in this race is to show what little people can do. But, meanwhile, she constantly tries to take advantage of being a little person (for example, they should get a ride somewhere because she's little, while everyone else walks). Likewise, when any other team does anything to advance themselves (they're supposed to - it's a race!), Charla and Mirna whine that the other team isn't playing fair or is cheating or should be helping them (because, after all, the one thing we learn from this is that little people need a lot of help). And another thing that *really* annoys me, is that they both try to speak "Spanish" without knowing a word of Spanish. I know, you could say "at least they're trying," but it's really annoying. "Where-o is the boat-o?" is *not* Spanish. And it's really not even trying.

So, they're kind of psycho and weird and they really annoy me. You'd have to watch an episode to get just how annoying they are.

Here comes the legal part. On the most recent episode, another contestant was rightfully in front of Charla and Mirna in a line to buy bus tickets. When C&M's turn came up, there were no bus tickets left. C&M were upset, and Mirna started calling the guy that bought the bus tickets "a criminal," and then adds "I can't stand criminals." Now, as a person who sees a lot of (accused) criminals, this is totally beyond me. Someone is a criminal because they bought bus tickets? Hmmm... I've seen strange cases, but this is really something.

But wait, it gets better. Later she says (this is Mirna, the one calling people "criminals"), "As a lawyer, I'm used to dealing with disgusting people." Whoa. A lawyer? And she doesn't understand the concept of what a criminal is? Amazing.

Anyway, I did a search on Martindale. I thought maybe she was a D.A. (which might explain why she feels so strongly about criminals), but, no, according to Martindale, she's with a firm and her practice areas are Estate Planning, Estate Administration, Elder Law, and Medical Assistance Planning. Are there really a lot of disgusting people in these areas? And, one more thing, the most surprising part is that Mirna isn't even her first name, it's her middle name.

I understand that sometimes people have a good reason for using their middle name. Maybe it sounds better, maybe it's less confusing. But if my first name was Lara and my middle name was Mirna, you could bet I'd go by Lara.

So, see, the point is... I'm learning more about other practice areas with every episode of Amazing Race. Now I know to avoid those areas because they're filled with disgusting people. I don't know whether she meant opposing counsel, or maybe her clients. Either way, keep that in mind when planning a change in career path. No Estate Planning.

2 comments:

  1. "Anyway, I did a search on Martindale. I thought maybe she was a D.A. (which might explain why she feels so strongly about criminals), but, no, according to Martindale, she's with a firm and her practice areas are Estate Planning, Estate Administration, Elder Law, and Medical Assistance Planning. Are there really a lot of disgusting people in these areas?"

    Well, she probably means all those other Estate Planning, etc. lawyers. And yes, I'm a lawyer. In fact, an assistant prosecuting attorney. On a slightly more serious note, on the use of middle names -- my grandfather used to say "never trust a man who parts his hair in the middle or his name up front." I assume the name part, at least, applies to women, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to make a comment about idiots saying that people who go by their middle names shouldn't be trusted by anyone. That is a retarded and bigoted statement to make about people. I go by my middle name and my parents forced me to do this every single day of my life. This means that my parents started doing this to me on the day of my birth. My older brother, sister and some of our cousins were also forced by our parents to do this from the time of their births. Almost everyone that I know who is called by their middle name was forced to do this from their birth as well. Why on earth do you idiots force people from birth to go by their middle names, get amnesia about us, refuse to accommodate us, screw up our names on every single legal document and then punish us because of your stupidity? Why don't you quit creating the problem that you hate so much and stop acting like a bunch of jerks because of it? If you want to screw up someone's name and punish them for it, then you should feel free to screw up your own names. Leave other people alone about this because it is rude.

    ReplyDelete