War Stories (continued)

Ken from crimlaw.com left this comment yesterday, which reminded me of a whole 'nuther arraignment story. This one is actually kind of sad, but I'd like to share it.

I was working (yet another) night arraignment shift. At around 5 p.m. (the beginning of the shift), I picked up a case with a homeless client. I knew that he could get time served and get out immediately.

I went to the jail cell off of the courtroom to talk to him. We talked about the case for a few minutes, and I told him that if he wanted to plead guilty, he could get time served. He seemed enthusiastic about this. We talked about his plea for a minute, and I told him that I'd sign his case up so he could get out of there. (Most clients are excited to get out as soon as possible).

Instead, he asked if I could wait an hour or so before signing up the case - so that he could get one of the white bread and bologna sandwiches that they hand out for dinner.

I don't think I'd ever heard something so heartbreaking in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment